I hate my job. Like, really really really hate my job. But I can’t quit. I need to support my family and right now there’s nothing else out there in my field. In spiritual circles, they say “Do what you love and the money will follow.” Well, the money is already here, but I’m not doing what I love. Any good ideas?
I doubt this will help you feel any better. But I bet you there are many thousands of people in this predicament.
Like I said – I didn’t imagine it would help…but I know that belonging is a deep human need…so you belong in a group of folks with this experience.
But there is another group of people, also thousands and thousands strong. This group is where you seem to be headed. This is the group of people who have gone from your current conflict to work they love!
There are a few things I would suggest doing. The more of these you can do, the better.
I fit these into two categories.
First, here is a list of things you might play with, that can help in shifting your experience of your current job:
1) Write down a list of what exactly it is you don’t like about your job.
2) Write another list of all the things that you do like about the job. (Dig deep here, if you have to. Search for the smallest things. For instance, maybe the bathroom is kept clean?)
3) Look for two things as you review each item on that first list.
a) Is this something you can change, by changing your attitude or looking at the situation (or person) differently? (Hint: This is a trick question. The answer is pretty much always “Yes.” The key is in finding what to shift in your own attitude or way of looking, and then practicing until you master the new way.)
b) Look for the gift in this complaint. I mean, find the perfection of it. How is this very thing that you don’t like inviting you to grow? How is it supporting you in your personal growth, or your soul’s evolution? If you were to look from a grander, birds-eye view, how might this be the perfect opportunity for you? (Even if the opportunity is to be courageous and strong enough to walk away.)
4) Look for the good. If you are determined enough, you can find something good in almost any situation. (I am not suggesting you stay in a situation that is harmful to you! But, assuming that is not the case…) Focus on that second list as much as you possibly can throughout your time at work. Become determined to see the positive things about where you are. You will get better and better at this. (I have a client who had had a boss they found very difficult because of their controlling nature. He shifted the way he imagined or saw his boss, and she shifted! His boss became a different person before his eyes!)
Here is a list of things you can do to discover a possible new job, and to create it:
1) Write a list of all the things you most love to do. Don’t edit as you write this list. Put every little thing you love to do on this list. That includes things you can’t, in a million years, imagine being paid to do! Then put them in order of preference, items that bring the most fulfillment or joy at the top.
2) At a separate time (!!!), look at each item on the list, and make up all the ways you can think of (real and imaginary or silly) that you could be paid to do that thing.
3) If you start to feel like there just isn’t a job out there that you could do and be happy doing, look through the Yellow Pages. I know these aren’t as accessible as they were at one time, but it could be an older or current Yellow Pages. There is bound to be some sort of internet equivalent, but I am not certain what it would be. Perhaps if you search for “professions (or jobs)” keeping it very open. It is amazing what you’ll find. At least, it was for me when I did this. I was blown away by all the things people do! And get paid for it! It really opened my mind to the infinite possibilities.
4) Become open to the possibility that if you are truly called to leave your current job, there is something more perfect for you! This is a factual reality. I know this for you. The Universe does not wish for you to be miserable. The Universe adores you unabashedly! Practice knowing this completely for yourself. Because the Divine Universe or Quantum Field is for you, help it find your good for you by becoming clear what you want.
5) To support the Universe in finding that new job for you, get clear about the qualities it needs to have. Then practice imagining you have it. THIS is the MOST powerful thing of all the suggestions I give you.
There are a few keys to this, and you can find them woven throughout all the blog posts on this website! There is great power in getting clear about what you’re wanting. When you can become clear about what the experience you want to have is, you can get better and better at imagining yourself as already having that experience.
This practice is incredible for two reasons. One, it draws the experience to you. The more deeply you feel it, the faster it is drawn to you. And two, it feels so wonderful while you’re practicing, it can be a fabulous break from the current situation!
Here’s wishing you work that doesn’t feel like work at all! Activities that are fulfilling and joy-filled for which you are abundantly prospered.
Blessings and Love to you in all you do!
What is your experience with aging? Share your comments below!
Have a question for Meli? Interested in a private session (in person or Skype)? Contact her at email@example.com